Wolverine 488 Hunting Knife
Our Elite Wolverine Knife is a unique design inspired by one of the most formidable creatures in North America. Don’t let the size of this “lil guy fool ya.” While he doesn’t weigh other top North American predators, he makes up for it with his pound-for-pound strength and ferocious behavior. This bad boy is the most prominent member of the weasel family and is known to take down deer and keep wolves and grizzlies at bay while protecting their kills. These awe-inspiring animals garner instant respect with their lumbering gait, huge claws, and unrelenting aggression. As an embodiment of these unique characteristics, this knife was painstakingly handmade by one of our gifted Pakistani knife artisans using exquisitely sculptured, darkened (burned), and highly polished Red Deer stag antler along with a blade that has been hand-forged with the finest 1095 and 15n20 Damascus steel. This steel’s outstanding composition creates an outstanding visual appearance and a blade with an extremely sharp cutting edge. In addition, a beautiful decorative file-work design was incorporated in the lower third of the blade and extended to the entire length of the handle, tang to the butt to make the knife pop! The knife and its all-leather sheath (with a striking wolverine head engraved upon it) genuinely reflect the strength and majesty of this tenacious beast.
- Overall Length: 9.8″
- Handle Length: 4.9″ Handle Materials: Red Deer Stag Antler. Red Deer Stag Antler is a solid and durable natural material for knife handles. Unfortunately, due to their porous nature, antlers affect their stability and make them susceptible to deformation and cracking. Excessive temperature, light, moisture, and changes in humidity can all negatively impact the characteristics of the bone over time, so care must be taken to protect it from these elements.
- File Work: A beautiful design that runs from the lower one-third of the blade back along the entire length of the full tang of the handle.
- Blade Length: 4.9″
- Blade Style: A “clip” style blade allows a quicker and, thus, deeper puncture upon insertion into an object.
- Blade Fuller (Groove): The fuller allows the knife to be lighter without sacrificing blade strength or integrity. The fuller is sometimes inaccurately called a “blood groove,” which is not the pu “pose of a fuller. Over many centuries, the fuller has also transformed into a functional and decorative component to enhance the knife’s beauty and underlying composition of blade material layers.
- Blade Material: Damascus steel.
- Damascus – A combination of 1095 high-carbon steel and 15N20 carbon nickel steel. Damascus steel is beautiful due to the vast selection of visual layering patterns available. These wavy patterns are created by folding and twisting the steel in various steps during the forging process. The remarkable wavy blade appearance is due to the revelation of the edge layers of steel during the blade shaping process. The steel itself is highly durable due to its resistance to chipping and breaking while maintaining a sharp edge for long periods of use. Due to the nature of carbon steel used in the blades, corrosion may become an issue if not kept lubricated with a food-grade oil such as mineral oil.
- Sheath: An all-leather friction-style sheath.
- Origin: Pakistan – Hand-Forged and Handmade.